Skip to main content

Your Birth Story

My sweet baby boy Landon,

As I am writing you, you are sleeping peacefully next to me, safely in your bassinet. You occasionally make tiny grunts or will have a sweet smile come across your face, making me wonder just what you are dreaming about.

Yesterday, you turned 1 month old! I cannot believe how quickly this last month has flown by. In some ways, I feel like I have known you forever and can't remember my life before you were in it, but in other ways, I feel like the day you came into this world was just yesterday. Before it gets too far away and some of the small details start to get confused, I want to make sure I write to you exactly what happened on January 28, 2019 -  the day you were born.

It was Sunday night/Monday morning. I was 38 weeks + 5 days pregnant. At around 1:30 AM, I started to have contractions. Your dad was asleep, so instead of just waking him up, I thought I would try to tough it out to make sure what I was feeling was the real deal. Well, that lasted a full 30 minutes, because the pains started to be much more intense. I took a shower, thinking that would make it go away, but nope. At this point, I woke up your dad, started timing my contractions, and when I realized they were getting pretty close, decided to go to the hospital. We got to UC Irvine Medical Center at 3:30 AM. By the time you and I were checked out and the decision was made to admit us, it was about 6:30 AM. I won't ever forget the moment the OBGYN told us we were getting admitted, because that meant today was the day we would finally meet you. Of course, I had known you for the last 9 months at this point - I could feel you hiccup every night, or feel you move to your favorite spot in my right rib cage, but the realization that I would now know you as a baby outside of me was very surreal.

I was in labor for 18 hours and was pushing for 1.5 hours until you made your grand appearance. Even though 1.5 hours seems like a long time now, it went by quickly because of how focused you are in the moment. We had no complications and everything went very smoothly. To be honest, I was terrified of labor, since I thought the pain would be unimaginable...but it really wasn't bad, because the anticipation of meeting you overpowered any discomfort I was having. Plus, an epidural is a beautiful thing.

It was exactly 8 PM when you arrived. You were a big baby, but not as big as we were thinking you would be, as you were measuring about 3 weeks ahead for almost my whole pregnancy. When they measured you, we took guesses, and daddy guessed exactly right - 8 lbs 5 oz. 21 inches long.

I never truly understood what love was until I met you. The moment you were placed on my chest is a memory that I will keep for the rest of my life...it was the moment that gave me clarity into my purpose in life. You were (and still are) the most beautiful thing I had ever seen in my life.

I love you for always,

~Mommy



\





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Scariest Days of Our Lives - A Jaundice Story

To my sweet baby boy, You are sleeping sweetly again beside me, so again I get time to write you. Tonight, I want to tell you about the scariest thing that your dad and I have ever experienced, which was when you were four days old and had to be admitted to the NICU for jaundice. As a pediatrician, I have treated probably about 100 babies with jaundice...its something so common, and something that as a resident, I would fight over getting on my team, because all the patients were cute and I always thought of jaundice as something that was not a big deal at all. Well, let me tell you - it is a COMPLETELY different story when its your baby that has jaundice. On the first morning after you were born, we were told by the newborn doctor that we had ABO incompatibility, which basically means that my blood type and your blood type are different and my antibodies started to attack your blood cells, which causes jaundice. We had your jaundice level checked and unfortunately it reached a l

Our First Few Days Alone

To my perfect baby boy, You turned 8 weeks old yesterday! How -- oh HOW -- is that possible? You are growing so fast.  Over the last 8 weeks, we have had a lot of help. Don't get me wrong...you are a VERY easy baby. I honestly thought it would be harder, but you are so chill and chunky and squishy and lovable that even all the sleepless nights and dirty diapers were...kinda fun! The day you were born, you grandma was staying with me and your dad in preparation for your arrival. The day you came home from the hospital, your nanuma, ThaTha, and auntie Swathi came down to see you too. Since then, your two grandmas have been swapping hanging out at our house to help me out. Well, it has now been 5 days that me and you are by ourselves! It has mostly been just me and you. Your dad is in his last few months of surgical residency. He is currently on his hardest/most time intensive rotation - Vascular surgery. He unfortunately started this rotation right when you were born, but lucki

My First Month Back At Work

Hi sweet baby boy! I am so sorry its been so so long since I have written you a love letter, but you and I have been adjusting to our new normal of me being back and work and you staying at home with your grammy and nanaamma. My absence of letters does not mean I love you any less!! In fact, I think I love you more and more each day! :) Since my last letter, we had the most amazing month alone together. Yes, it made mommy very tired at some points, but it was just so special to have this time together - just you and me (and Rupee boy of course). Daddy would come home in the evenings after work, so you got some special time with him as well. You and I got into such a routine that mainly consisted of us snuggling on the couch all day. We would also go on 2-3 walks each day so that Rupert could get his energy out and so that you and I got some fresh air. We spent a few days by the pool and had a few trips to the park too. We even met up with some baby friends, but you slept through mo